Saturday, October 24, 2015

Punctuation Part 2

In this blog post I will dive into three more punctuation chapters form the Rules For Writers textbook.

No author. "File:Icelandic quotation marks.svg". Public Domain. 
The Comma
The main thing I have learned is that commas are used for very specific reasons and can be abused. Besides being used for lists, commas can be used to make sentences flow better and be more easily understood. 

The Semicolon
Semicolons should be used between closely related independent clauses not joined with a coordinating junction.  I learned that semicolons are used to connect two sentences that are related. 

The Colon
Colons are used after an independent clause to direct attention to a list, an appositive, a quotation, or a summary or an explanation. Colons are rarely used.

I have learned that I am a horrible comma abuser. My comma usage can use some tuning-up. Additionally, I don't really use semicolons or colons. I have learned that by using more semi colons and colons I can improve the sentence variety in my essay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment