Saturday, October 3, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In the following blog post I will be writing/thinking about my own personal values and beliefs regarding competition-based hiring practices in the architecture industry. It is apparent to me right of the back that I agree with the argument presented in my selected text.
Henne, Jahn. "Die Sonne bringt es an den Tag". 19 June 2007. Public Domain.

1. I share the same social beliefs as the architectural culture presented in the argument. I believe that competition is healthy and it creates an environment that fosters better ideas and more creative ways of designing.

2. Cilento presents the argument in her article that architects shouldn't be motivated by monetary reward and that as long as you enjoy your job as an architect you should want to work without pay . I don't share this same belief and this is where I disagree with her argument, architects are making a living by designing and when they work they should be paid just like in any other profession.

3. If you are not familiar with the architectural community you can still connect with the social belief that competition is healthy in an work environment and that getting paid for you hard work is  a view that most of us share but some can argue otherwise. The beliefs presented in my selected text can be compared to any profession, not just architecture.

4. This text was written in our historical time and I cant see it changing over time past of present.

After reading Jayni and Nick's blogs I have learned that I am in a good place regarding my understanding of my own assumptions. Jayni especially had good insights into her own assumptions while Nick had a good understanding of how society might view his controversy as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that loving your job doesn't mean you shouldn't be properly reimbursed for it. I wouldn't want to pursue a career that did not have a big payoff because a lot has been sacrificed to get a degree and I would want to be able to enjoy my job and other things in life, like going out or traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica!
    I agree with a lot of your cultural values in regards to this topic. I too agree that competition is important in order to have a healthy society. It is definitely important in order for their to be innovation and motivation.
    Ayra Sabir

    ReplyDelete