Wednesday, September 2, 2015

My Major

In 5 years hopefully I will be graduating The University of Arizona with a Bachelor's of Architecture degree. Architecture is a very unique field of study as it has its own separate world of people with different ways of thinking. Below I will explain some of the details pertaining to my major and the world of architecture.

Palladio, Andrea. "I Quattro libri dell'Architecttura" 1570. Public Domain. 
Architecture students rigorously study and improve drawing and design techniques. Classes include studio time, lecture, and history-focused lecture. Architecture students try to consider the community/society and environment when designing and planning. It is also important to develop an individual design aesthetic to stand out from your classmates as everyone is learning the same techniques.

Registered architects can work in many careers other than just working in a firm. Jobs range from a set designer on broadway to construction managers, drafters, civil engineers, interior designers, and real estate agents. 

I was drawn to the field of architecture because I have an affinity for drawing and math. Weird combination, right? Well, it works for architecture as structure and line combine with thought and creativity. 

According to Architectural Digest's AD100 list of the best architects and designers worldwide, designers such as Christoff:fino Architecture, NH Design, and Vicente Wolf Associates Inc. are among the best of the best. These firms have presented innovative ideas to the world of architecture through projects around the world as well as projects for esteemed clients. 

Three of the top scholarly journals regarding the architecture field include the Journal of Building Performance Simulation, Research in Engineering Design, and Design Studies. All three journals were published in the United Kingdom.

Reflection:
After visiting Dylan's Blog I learned that we both share a passion for human nature and communicating artistry to the world (even though he is a theatre major and I am an architecture major). I also related to Isabel's Blog as we both have a long and demanding road ahead with complex and time consuming majors. I learned that even though I might be feeling stressed, I am not alone. Learning everyone's major is also very interesting for me because there is such a variety. 

1 comment:

  1. I find your field very interesting! I know architects are responsible for nearly everything around us, but still they seem to remain hidden. Drawing and math skills are a very unique combo, one that is definitely working to your advantage in this field. I find your class requirements very intriguing. Where my schedule is filled with science and health classes (nursing major), yours is an abundance of history and arts. I think architecture is a very talent filled and unique profession.

    ReplyDelete